Summer is one of the most eagerly awaited seasons. And yet, it brings its share of pests to our peaceful nights: heat, allergies, insects, persistent daylight, etc, and humidity.
Summer is here and it is very warm across North America. You’ll hear people from Washington State to Florida repeating the annual refrain to identify the source of their discomfort, “It ain’t the heat, it’s the humidity.” This colorful phrase means that in hot weather, the high humidity (amount of moisture in the air) plays a bigger part in making you uncomfortable than the degree of heat does.
It is getting warmer and wetter east of the Rockies, as this map shows. Humid air that is saturated with water vapor interferes with the body’s ability to cool itself by sweating. So, if it is very hot and dry, that is not nearly as uncomfortable as when it is hot and humid.
It pays during the summer months to stay aware of humidity levels, as they do change quite significantly from day to day. You can also quickly judge the moisture in the summer air by looking up:
- A deep blue sky means dry air.
- A light blue sky with a nearly white horizon means average humidity.
- A milky sky indicates high humidity. Think of the summertime sky in the Carolinas and the Gulf States.
Tips to beat the heat AND humidity:
- Sleep in a cool dark room.
- Keep a foot outside the covers.
- Use ceiling fans and keep the flow of air going.
- Get a dehumidifier.
- Dry your laundry in the great outdoors.
- Keep the bathroom as open as possible when showering.
- Read up on the latest bedding technologies.
- Replace worn and used bedding with hotel quality bedding
- Cooling bedding helps you sleep in warm weather, so consider technologically advanced cooling bedding:
Be aware that at the end of June, when the days are the longest and summer really begins, a day can last more than 16 hours, compared to more than 8 hours in winter: so prepare to go to bed and to sleep at a reasonable time to get a sufficient amount of sleep. It is sometimes difficult to stick to your sleep routine in the summer. It is at these times that it is most important to really set yourself a discipline to promote consistent quality rest.
Downlite is committed to helping everyone get a better night’s sleep. Contact us for personalized assistance with all your bedding needs.