Posted by Aline Martin O'Brien on 20th Jan 2022
Happy Burns Night - Take a Look at Yourself and Your Bedding!
The Scots celebrate the birth of Robert Burns each January 25 with feasting and poetry on Burns Night. From John Steinbeck to Bob Dylan, the poetry of Robert Burns continues to influence artists and writers to this day.
Of the many great works of Scotland's national poet, two lines from "To a Louse" come back to us often: "O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Or, in modern English, "Oh would some Power the gift give us, to see ourselves as others see us." Just imagine if we could truly step outside our own reality and look at ourselves from a third-party perspective!
In the hotel business, operators can do just that by reviewing their online reviews, especially those sometimes entertaining but often instructive, one-star reviews. Here are a few highlights from hotels around the United States.
This is where the weary traveler lays their head at the end of the day and, not coincidentally, the bedding item that attracts the most comments. Here are a few from four-star hotels charging $250-600/night:
- "Good location, small pillows not firm!"
- "The pillows were fluffy but fell flat after laying on them for 2 minutes".
- "The bed and pillows made it hard to sleep."
- "The pillows are small, the toiletries aren't very good, and the bed barely had more than a sheet."
- "The pillows were the typical poly-filled or down-filled pillows that had absolutely no support to them. You know that ones... They look fluffy until you lay your head down, and then they are as flat as a piece of paper. I had to sleep on 3 of them for the feel of a normal pillow."
- "The beds looked so comfy in the pictures but in reality are kinda lumpy, and the pillows offer zero support, so sitting up in the bed becomes pretty uncomfortable after a little bit."
- "Bring your own pillow."
At Downlite, we have a solution to each of these problems and are a major supplier to luxury hotels seeking to avoid the dreaded one-star review. (Or those that start out, "If I could give no stars …")
Pillows are an essential aspect of any bed: pillows are key, from décor to the pleasure of sleeping.
Hotel pillows are not only recommended for those who want to improve their decor but especially for sleepers who want to find or regain a deep and restful sleep.
- Pillows should match your sleeping position.
- If you sleep on your stomach, your pillow should be thin,
- If you sleep on your side, your pillow should be large enough to fill the gap between your neck and the mattress,
- If you sleep on your back, your pillow should be large enough to prevent your head from tilting forward or back.
- Pillows should match your body type: the level of firmness and support offered by the pillow will depend on your build and build.
- The XS and S morphologies will appreciate soft and thin pillows,
- the M and L morphologies towards mid-firm pillows,
- and the XL or XXL morphologies will move towards firm and very firm pillows.
For more information, you can consult our pillow buying guide.
As with pillows, personal preference does play a role in some reviews, but the reviewers also reveal a lot about what people want and miss in their bedding when on the road. Here are a few compliments since nothing is always all good or all bad.
- "The beds are so cozy. Super soft linens and fluffy hotel comforters."
- "The bed got me and my family searching for a good feathered mattress topper!"
- "I wish I could take the bed and bedding set home...it was so comfortable I slept like a baby....."
If you liked the bedding you experienced while staying in a hotel, you can use our hotel bedding finder to find it and purchase it for your home.
Our hotel bedding finder has over 500 hotels in its database. Please note that many national hotel chains don't prefer their name to be published, so send us an email if the hotel does not show up on the list, and our team will be happy to confirm which bedding you enjoyed.
If you would like personalized assistance or professional advice before ordering your bedding, you may contact our customer service representatives, and they will assist you in your decision-making.
Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels