Posted by Matt Cardoni on 5th Jul 2022
5 Reasons Why Superhosts Invest in Down Alternative Pillows
Airbnb superhosts know the secrets to delighting their guests, earning more 5-star reviews, and keeping their properties booked. A luxurious night's sleep can make or break a home rental experience. After all, what makes a vacation better than real R&R?
One high-impact yet simple item can vastly improve a guest's sleep quality (and travel experience): pillows. But how do hosts know the right type of pillow that appeals to most customers? Here are the top reasons rental owners are switching to down alternative pillows.
- Asthma and Allergies: While natural down may sound luxurious on paper, some consumers have allergen issues with inferior down products not being made hypoallergenic. This is not an issue for our cleaning standards but perception can be reality for some customers. Since down comes from animals, it contains natural allergens, dander, and microscopic spores that can trigger reactions like a runny nose, watery eyes, and a restless night (again not relevant t our bedding which is hypoallergenic). On the flip side, down alternative pillows are naturally hypoallergenic and allergy-friendly. And thanks to modern technology, these synthetic pillows are made to mimic the softness and loft of actual down, providing ultimate comfort to everyone, including those with sensitive noses. To learn more, read about what hypoallergenic really means for bedding.
- Ease of Cleaning: When it comes to maintenance, a down alternative is the clear choice. Most down alternative pillows are machine washable and can be tumble dried to return to their original comfort. Keeping down pillows fresh and cushiony takes more effort. Many down pillows require daily fluffing and use of pillow protectors to keep stray down pieces from coming out. Failure to properly care for these pillows results in clumping -- and lumpy, flat pillows are unappealing.
- Cost: Down alternative pillows are more affordable, costing less than natural down pillows. Ever heard the phrase "time is money"? Considering the time needed to care for down pillows, down alternative pillows are the obvious pick for anyone's wallet and schedule. Vacation homeowners often must furnish multiple bedrooms with 4-6 pillows per bed. If this sounds excessive, consider decorative sham stuffers and extra pillows for guests who require more support. Savvy hosts shop for bulk pillow value packs for wholesale pricing on quality pillows.
- The Cool Factor: Down alternative performance pillows can be cooler than down pillows, and cooler temperatures promote better sleep. Down alternative pillows don't trap as much heat like natural down making them an excellent choice for warm sleepers. Breathable pillows help guests achieve restorative rest and feel rejuvenated throughout the day. Additional cooling bedding pieces such as a cooling mattress pad or cooling pillows can also help lower core body temperature and support a deep, uninterrupted night's sleep.
- Ethical Appeal: Down alternative pillows don't come from animals and appeal to individuals who prefer to abstain from animal-based products. Since people's opinions about animal-based products can vary widely, providing options that avoid conflicting with people's personal views is a safer way to get more 5-star reviews.
The bottom line is that down alternative pillows offer benefits to a wider audience of guests, and provides fewer reasons for negative reviews. To learn more about how to get great reviews, here are our recommendations about home rental bedding and our comprehensive Pillow Buying Guide. If you would like personalized assistance or professional advice before ordering your bedding, you may also contact our customer service representatives, and we will assist you in your decision-making.