Earth Day is an excellent time to reflect on our carbon footprint and take action to protect the Earth. We can make the greatest environmental impact by changing small habits every day. Why not start with our own homes? Here are our curated tips on how to improve your carbon footprint starting from ground zero: your bedroom.
Tips for an eco-conscious home:
- Reuse and recycle down pillows in your garden to reduce your waste.
- Upcycle old bedding into a huge pillow that you can use to sit on the floor.
- Become eco-friendly in your sleep by opting for bedding made with sustainable practices and recycled materials.
- Use cooling bedding to reduce your own body’s contribution to global warming.
- Make your bedroom greener by thoughtfully selecting post consumer recycled polyester like EnviroLoft.
- Paint the walls with eco-friendly paints. Regular paints have toxins and pollutants that are harmful to people, animals, and the planet.
- Add plants and locally produced, non-exotic wood furniture to your decor and read about other ways to sustainably decorate your home.
- Lower the heat in your room to reduce energy use. Cooler bedroom temps also improve sleep quality!
Green Choices = Better sleep
Being environmentally conscious is linked to sleeping better at night. One reason is that many eco-friendly practices, such as reducing energy use and choosing non-toxic products, can help create a healthier indoor living environment. This can lead to better air quality, which has been linked to better sleep quality.
Making sustainable choices can also help reduce stress and promote relaxation. For example, spending time in nature, using natural cleaning products, and practicing sustainable gardening can all have a calming effect and result in better sleep. Making environmentally conscious choices can also encourage a sense of purpose and meaning in life. The mental health benefits of going green include a positive outlook and greater sense of well-being, which can improve sleep quality. You can even become eco-friendly in your sleep. Protecting the planet can help you sleep better and feel more refreshed!
Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
There are many ways to celebrate Earth Day and positively impact the environment. You could plant a tree or garden, attend a local Earth Day event, donate to an environmental organization, or actively reduce your daily consumption and carbon footprint. For ongoing action, you could start a green committee in your office.
At Downlite, we don’t just celebrate the Earth for one day. We’re committed to improving our sustainability efforts daily by reducing energy, waste, and gas, focusing on recycled materials, and partnering with companies that share our values.
Remember, every action counts, no matter how small it may seem. By making conscious choices in our daily lives, we can all help protect the environment and ensure a sustainable future for future generations.
Photo by Monica Turlui