What the Fluff? Why 50/50 Pillows are Actually Awesome

Posted by Elizabeth Kennedy on 10th Jul 2019

What the Fluff? Why 50/50 Pillows are Actually Awesome

If you’ve ever shopped for a pillow online (and let’s be honest, that’s probably why you’re here) you’ve probably noticed terms like “all down”, “all feather”, and “50/50”. You might assume that because a pillow is down only it's better than one of the 50/50 blends, but we’re here to share why that might not be the case. In fact, some might argue that 50/50 pillows are actually better than their “100%”* counterparts. Here’s our stance in support of the 50/50 pillow and why you might become a 50/50 pillow convert!

Feathers are not all created equal. Feathers and down are actually two different types of plumage that come from either a duck or a goose (or both). Pillows with feathers in them are generally firmer and have a bit more weight to them, whereas pillows with down tend to be softer and springier. One of the reasons that 50/50 pillows are so popular is because they’re right in between. If you’re someone who likes a pillow that is not too squishy but also not too firm, 50/50 pillows might be your solution.

Not only do 50/50 pillows strike the perfect balance of firmness and softness, they also come in a variety of sizes and price ranges here at DOWNLITE. Most of this comes down to the type of bird whose plumage ends up in the pillow. Each type of bird’s fill provides different benefits for the pillow. The four styles of 50/50 pillows you’ll find are either white duck, white goose, grey duck, or grey goose.

Our favorite is the 50/50 grey duck blend (choose better option) because the color is consistent and it offers that exact squishy feeling you get at your favorite 5-star hotel. Some folks get concerned when they order a white pillow and see grey feathers inside, which is a totally normal result of the way down is sorted by color! However, if you’re not a fan of seeing a different color inside of a white pillow, having a uniformly grey filled pillow might be right for you.

If you’re in the mood to treat yourself, you might want to try out one of our white goose 50/50 blends (choose best option). These luxurious pillows are designed to be firmer than their duck counterparts. Either way, when you go with a 50/50 pillow you will find the perfect option for your taste!

Ready to give a 50/50 pillow a try? We suggest starting with one 50/50 pillow instead of going all in. That way, if you want to try a different type of fill, you’re not totally committed! They’re filled by weight, so it’ll be a breeze for you to pick out the one that’s right for you. DOWNLITE brings you the highest quality and best variety, so you can be confident that anything you pick will be excellent!

*Please Note: No pillow will be 100% down. Short of hand tweezing out loose fibers and small feathers it is impossible to have 100% down anything. By law, bedding must have 75% down content. The remaining 25% is typically comprised of a mixture of: additional down cluster, loose down fibers (the parts that break off from the down clusters), and small feathers (6 cm or smaller).