Posted by Jordan Jones on 6th Feb 2023
Sleeping with Pets in the Bed: Pros and Cons & Tips for Success
In today's world, more and more people are opting to sleep with their pets in the bed. In fact, a recent survey found that 56% of pet owners sleep with their pets every night. While some people view this practice as a source of comfort and companionship, others see it as a health hazard. So, what are the pros and cons of sleeping with pets in the bed, and how can you make it safe and comfortable?
One of the biggest benefits of sleeping with pets in the bed is the comfort and companionship it provides. Pets can offer a sense of security, which can be especially helpful for people who live alone. They can also be a source of comfort and reduce stress or anxious times. Moreover, pets have been found to promote better sleep quality, as the gentle purring or breathing of a pet can soothe us and help us fall asleep faster. Sleeping with pets in the bed can also strengthen the bond between pet and owner, which can lead to a more positive and fulfilling relationship.
Sleeping with pets in the bed is not without its drawbacks. One major concern is hygiene, as pets can carry germs and bacteria that can harm our health. Pets can also shed fur and dander, which can be irritating to some people, especially those with allergies. Pets can sometimes be disruptive to our sleep, as they may move around, make noise, or take up too much room in the bed. Sleeping with pets in the bed at times can lead to behavioral issues or in pets, as they may start to see the bed as their territory and become aggressive or territorial towards other people or pets. Additionally, it can be dangerous for small pets, as they can get squashed or trapped.
How to make Sleeping with Pets in the Bed Safe and Comfortable
There are steps you can take to make sleeping with your pet in the bed both safe and comfortable:
- Make sure to groom your pet regularly and maintain good hygiene practices. This will help to minimize the risk of spreading germs and bacteria.
- Consider creating boundaries for your pet in the bed, such as using a pet bed or blanket, so they do not take up too much room or disrupt your sleep.
- Consider the size and breed of your pet, as some breeds are better suited to sleeping in a bed than others.
- Provide a comfortable sleeping environment for your pet, such as a soft bed or blanket, to ensure they are happy and comfortable.
- Finally, if your pet has accidents, it’s critical to use a protector to protect your mattress and pillows.
- If you do decide to let your pet climb in your bed, consider an easy-care duvet, because even if you regularly bathe your pet, it will be necessary to wash your bedding frequently. Because of this, we recommend a down alternative comforter due to their hypo-allergenic & high temperature properties.
Sleeping with pets in the bed can offer comfort and companionship, promote better sleep quality, and strengthen the bond between pet and owner. However, it is important to consider the potential health hazards, the possibility of disrupted sleep, and the potential for behavioral issues. By taking the necessary steps to make it safe and comfortable, you can enjoy the benefits of sleeping with your pet in the bed.
Photo by Samson Katt