You begin and end your day in your bed. It's your place to recharge at the end of a long, grueling day and wake up energized to face a new one. When it comes to your health, nothing is more important than a good night's sleep. Making your bedroom one of the most important spaces in your life. Medical professionals recommend you sleep about eight hours a night for better health, therefore, your bed plays an even greater role in achieving optimal well-being.
You may not consider a bedroom makeover a worthwhile investment, but purchasing a high-quality mattress, some new paint or luxurious hotel bedding isn’t just about home design. Transforming your bedroom into a restful retreat is an investment in your health, too. If your room is cluttered or lifeless, chances are your brain isn't receiving very pleasant signals. You may have the urge to dive in and do a complete bedroom remodel.
To get started, it's important to take small steps:
Prioritize Your Needs
- Start with the mattress. If you're tossing and turning all night, you might consider a new mattress. As you shop around, don't be shy about investigating different brands and levels of firmness. A reputable store will work with you to find a good fit.
- Upgrade your bedding. If the sheets, comforter, pillows, or any other part of the bed make you feel itchy, hot, cold, or just plain uncomfortable, consider new bedding. Down bedding is particularly effective in providing lasting comfort that translates into improved sleep.
You'll want to focus a little less on price and more on quality. Paying a little extra for down bedding that's going to last longer, or more importantly provide consistent rest, is an investment in your health and well-being.
Stimulate the Senses
Now that you've fixed the bed, you can start working on ways to make your bedroom pleasing to the senses:
- Visual appeal - If your bedroom is too bright or lacks any color, you may need to break out the paintbrush. Be sure to focus on soothing colors.
- Aromatherapy - Try introducing fresh flowers, plants, or light diffusion scents; but stay away from harsh perfume smells. Your nose will thank you.
- Quiet down - Reduce the amount of sound by moving the television out and putting away the electronics. Too much noise negatively affects quality sleep.
- Improve the feel - It's worth repeating that quality bedding is key to maximizing your comfort level. If you don't feel completely relaxed in bed, you've lost the battle.
Benefits Outweigh the Effort
Making over a bedroom may not sound like the most appealing of home projects, but it's important to understand the potential benefits:
- Better sleep - So many health problems can be linked to poor sleep habits. By creating a bedroom that allows you to escape from the pressures of life with sound slumber, you'll feel more energized each morning.
- Better health - A good night's sleep is the springboard to everything healthy. You feel more alert, you accomplish more, and you make decisions that increase your well-being.
- Better life - Introducing quality sleep into your life is critical. With better sleep, your body is better prepared to handle the challenges life throws your way.
By fixing your bed first with quality bedding and making your bedroom relaxing for your senses, you can enjoy a more relaxing lifestyle.